Re: system is going crazy with disk-head parking

On Sunday 16 March 2008 06:01, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 20:19:41 -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> > my system is going crazy with disk-head parking when i watch movies.
> > below is ouput of:
> >
> > 	date >> ~/logfile
> > 	sudo smartctl -a /dev/hda |  grep 193 >> ~/logfile
> > 	sudo smartctl -a /dev/hda |  grep " 9" >> ~/logfile
> >
> > =======
> >
> > 	Fri Mar  7 17:46:23 PST 2008
> > 	193 Load_Cycle_Count          		 666195
> > 	  9 Power_On_Hours            		 13662
> > 	Fri Mar  7 23:19:12 PST 2008
> > 	193 Load_Cycle_Count          		 666570
> > 	  9 Power_On_Hours            		 13667
> >
> > i have researched this on the net and tried some of the suggested fixes,
> > but so far without any result.
>
> Look, if you make a statement like that then people cannot judge if
> their level of knowledge about this kind of problem might be helpful or
> not. You strongly suggest that the "usual" fixes do not work for you,
> but you leave us in the dark about what exactly you have tried already,
> so people do not even know where to start. This is probably the reason
> why this message did not get any responses the last time you posted it.
>
> --
> Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
>           Florian   |

Florian,

thanks very much for your very helpful reply.

well, i did 'hdprm -B 255' and let the thing sit overnight. the next day the
number of load cycles was ~300 as best i can remember. did the same thing
with same results for 'hdprm -B 254'.

please let me know if there is any other way i can improve the quality of my
post.

tom arnall
arcata