KDM not working

Hi,
   Am sujith. I am using Debian Etch. I used gdm to login. I had set kde
   as default in the gdm login. Today when I did
   dpkg-reconfigure kdm
   and used kdm as default, I could see the login page. But I couldn't
   pass the login screen after entering my user name and password. Can
   any one help me how to achive my task? Now I reverted back to gdm
   by issuing the command
   `dpkg-reconfigure gdm` and selected gdm.
   I am not subscribed to this mailing list. Please add me to the cc
   list when any one replies to this message.

   Sujith H