Re: Mutt and IMAP-Gmail timeouts

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 12:18:27 -0500, David Berg wrote:
> Gmail's web interface is getting painfully slow on my old computer so
> I've decided to go back to using mutt.  I've got thing configured pretty
> well, but any time I'm reading or composing an e-mail the IMAP
> connection times out.  Is there something I can do to keep the
> connection open while I'm not in folder view?
>
> Please CC me in your reply.

Try playing with these parameters:

file:///usr/share/doc/mutt/html/reference.html#imap-keepalive
file:///usr/share/doc/mutt/html/reference.html#timeout
file:///usr/share/doc/mutt/html/reference.html#mail-check

AFAIK, mutt's default imap_keepalive time of 900 seconds is too long for
Gmail. (It seems that Gmail is violating RFC3501, which specifies that
an imap server has to wait for at least 30 minutes before closing an
idle connection.) Try to reduce imap_keepalive to 5 minutes. Depending
on your internet connection, you might have to tweak timeout and
mail-check to keep mutt's user interface responsive.

          Florian   |