Re: What's the problem with this cron command

On 3/15/08, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please take a look at the following cron task:
>
> * * * * *	root	ps -eaf | grep -E 'cdrecord.* -[dts]ao |cdrdao
> *write|growisofs.*speed=' > /dev/null || logger get executed.

I'm not exactly sure why you want to do that  - the five asterisks
mean run this command every minute of every day.

> PS. I'm sure the PATH is setup properly in my cron, so cron can find ps &
> grep.

cron runs in a restricted environment and doesn't (to my knowledge)
source $PATH from anywhere, so you need to explicitly add the paths
(i.e., /usr/bin/cdrecord) or run a shell script that sets those & then
runs your command.