Re: DVD life-cycle

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 01:11:28 +0000, Nuno Magalhães wrote:

> this is what i want to do:
>
> - rip a DVD into a suitable format: divX, whatever. I'd like to make
> sure the ripped version is an exact bit-by-bit copy of the original -
> for backup purposes mom! - but that's not reeeaaaally necessary. As
> long as i have the video, audio and subtitle tracks well-defined and
> separated i'm happy.
>
> - then i want to create subtitles to said DVD, preferrably using
> Unicode since they'll be in esperanto, which has "special" characters,
> accented and such. Religious question: which subtitle format to use?
>
> - then, i want to add those subtitles to the ripped bulk and burn it back.
>
> So, get a DVD and add an extra set of subtitles. The golden question:
> what software to use for all this?

That's something easy to ask but need a book to answer. E.g., there are at
least over 10 tools that I know of that can do (just) the rip for you.

To get yourself prepared for this big topic, you may want to start here:

Dvd/Vcd related tools
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/media/video/dvdvcd/

and follow the links from there.

--