DVD life-cycle

Greetings and salutations.

I enjoy purchasing DVDs from official vendors and store them in neat
cases on a shelf, embellishing it with chromatic variety of what
Hollywood has to offer. It gives me a warm comfy feeling knowing these
simple-looking disks are protected aggainst vandals and pirates and
their ilk, thus ensuring our society will thive and prosper equally.

Anyway... this is what i want to do:

- rip a DVD into a suitable format: divX, whatever. I'd like to make
sure the ripped version is an exact bit-by-bit copy of the original -
for backup purposes mom! - but that's not reeeaaaally necessary. As
long as i have the video, audio and subtitle tracks well-defined and
separated i'm happy.

- then i want to create subtitles to said DVD, preferrably using
Unicode since they'll be in esperanto, which has "special" characters,
accented and such. Religious question: which subtitle format to use?

- then, i want to add those subtitles to the ripped bulk and burn it back.

So, get a DVD and add an extra set of subtitles. The golden question:
what software to use for all this?
Any other technical input and/or constructive criticism is welcome.

Cheers,
Nuno

--
Fica bem, porta-te mal.