Re: What causes bad inodes?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 08:41:02PM -0700, David Fox wrote:
> On 3/10/08, postid <postid@basicisp.net> wrote:
> > Isn't this a bit of a security breach? Anyone booting my laptop
> > would have potential access to my files. Would a person using
> > this shell have root privileges?
>
> You would only be running in init=/bin/sh temporarily, long enough to
> fix the issue, then you'd boot normally.
>
> You might not even need to edit the line - doesn't your grub menu have
> a line that basically tells it to go into single-user mode? If so, use
> that, fix the issue, then reboot into normal multiuser mode.
>
> Or, you can do 'sudo telinit 1' and drop into the same single-user
> mode on a running system, and then telinit 2 to get back to regular
> mode.

Single-user mode on Debian still gives you mounted filesystems and you
can't run fsck on a filesystem that is mounted rw.  This is why people
have invented LiveCDs for Linux.  Before grub, it was the only way to
get a command-line to a ro-mounted /.  You still need a liveCD if you
want to run badblocks (e2fsck -c -c) on the filesystem since it has to
be totally unmounted.

For your edification, look at the scripts that get run in /etc/rcS.d and
rc1.d.  Its a fairly complete system.

Doug.