Re: What causes bad inodes?

On 3/10/08, postid <postid@basicisp.net> wrote:

> Isn't this a bit of a security breach? Anyone booting my laptop
> would have potential access to my files. Would a person using
> this shell have root privileges?

You would only be running in init=/bin/sh temporarily, long enough to
fix the issue, then you'd boot normally.

You might not even need to edit the line - doesn't your grub menu have
a line that basically tells it to go into single-user mode? If so, use
that, fix the issue, then reboot into normal multiuser mode.

Or, you can do 'sudo telinit 1' and drop into the same single-user
mode on a running system, and then telinit 2 to get back to regular
mode.