Re: What use is gstreamer?

Thanks for going to all this trouble!

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Nigel Henry
<cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> On Saturday 08 March 2008 06:10, I wrote:

>  > Rhythmbox (based on gstreamer) could not handle wrfg.org/listen.asp
>  > (told me it could not determine the nature of the stream).  The totem
>  > (now -xine) movie player handles it very nicely, although I really
>  > don't need the rather cool visualization!
>  >
>  > I LIKE Rhythmbox - is there something I'm missing (although I think
>  > I've installed all the gstreamer plugins there are) to have it play my
>  > favorite radio station (WRFG)?

>  Hi Patrick. I've played about a bit with Rhythmbox/gstreamer today to try to
>  resolve your problem with accessing streams from http://www.wrfg.org.
>
>  Anyway this is how it went. I use KDE on Lenny, and other distros. Rhythmbox
>  was not installed, so I installed it, and it pulled in a load of deps. I've
>  attached the history file for what was installed below.
>
>  Started Rhythmbox, and added new radio station with
>  http://wrfg.org/listen.asp. No joy with that though, as we know.
>
>  Now I have the debian-multimedia repo in my /etc/apt/sources.list, and
>  synaptic showed 2 versions of the ffmpeg package available. The installed one
>  was from the Debian repo, and the other named "gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg-full" was
>  from Christian Marillats debian-multimedia repo. I removed the installed one,
>  installed the one from Debian-multimedia, then tried
>  http://wrfg.org/listen.asp again. Still no joy.

I tried that too.

>  Not being one to give up, I opened Firefox. Now when I installed Rhythmbox it
>  had also installed a load of Totem plugins, and I know these like to take
>  first place when you want to play any streams in Firefox. Typing
>  about:plugins in Firefox confirmed that along with the Mplayerplug-in stuff,
>  there were now a load of Totem plugins. So I type in the URL
>  http://www.wrfg.org, click on "listen live", and a window opens, saying the
>  following.
>  <quote>
>  you have chosen to open
>  listen.pls
>  which is a: MP3 ShoutCast playlist
>  from: http://streaming.wrfg.org
>  And with the default application to play this being "Movie Player"
>  <end quote>
>
>  Ok, I go for the default, and amazingly Totem gstreamer for the first time
>  that I can remember actually plays something, and says it's getting it from:
>  streaming.wrfg.org:80.

Totem-xine works for me, but I was unable to get totem-gstreamer to play it.

>  Clearly the codecs are there for gstreamer to play streams from the site, as
>  totem/gstreamer is working.
>
>  Now to try Rhythmbox again. Very doubtfull, I click on "New Internet Radio
>  Station", and add http://streaming.wrfg.org. Double click on the new entry,
>  and Bingo! The stream plays. It's a bit stuttery as I'm on dialup, but the
>  other night on Firefox there were no stutters, but at least the site is
>  working with Rhythmbox/gstreamer, for me at least.

I'll take a look at your list of deps and see what I'm missing.  I did
get a conflict  between gstreamer-ugly and gstreamer bad, so maybe
there's something in one of those which I need and don't have.

Thanks again for this above-and-beyond effort.

Patrick