Re: Security update of etch did not update my Kernel. Still vulnerable. Why???

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 08:49:04 -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> On 18:09 Sun 09 Mar     , Mike Bird wrote:

[...]

> > Sorry Mitchell, there was a slight mistake in the advice given to you.
> > You should not install linux-image-2.6 but rather linux-image-2.6-486
> > or linux-image-2.6-686 (or one of the other variants) whichever is
> > appropriate for your processor.
> >
> > This will cause future kernel security updates to be installed as
> > expected when you "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade".
> >
> > --Mike Bird
>
> Dear Mike,
>
> I just installed linux-image-2.6-486 as you suggested, to correspond to my
> new kernel 2.6.24-1-486.
>
> The apt-get install script says
>
> linux-image-2.6-486 is already the newest version.
> linux-image-2.6-486 is set to manually installed.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly instlalled 0 to remove and 1023  not upgraded.
>
> what does the "set to manually installed mean"?

It means that apt thinks that this package was installed at the explicit
request of the user, as opposed to packages that are installed
automatically to satisfy dependencies. The point of remembering this bit
of each package's history is to allow for easy removal of all packages
that were installed automatically in the past and are no longer needed
now. (See "man apt-get", search for "autoremove".)

          Florian   |