Re: Idea of a Debian Mascot [Was: FW: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections]

On Sunday 09 March 2008 05:53:50 pm Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 05:37:38PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Thursday 28 February 2008 03:09:48 pm Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > > I'd be very interested in Debian, with aptitude, etc, with the OpenBSD
> > > kernel.  To me, this would be the best of both worlds.
> >
> > Debian, being the universal operating system, formerly offered this.
> > Debian OpenBSD was dropped at the start of November 2002 due to Debian
> > and OpenBSD being roughly equal in terms of security, thus negating the
> > reason for combining Debian and OpenBSD in the first place.
>
> Did an OBSD dev actually say that the two were roughly equal in terms of
> security?

You would have to ask Andreas Schuldei about that if it's not answered over on
the Debian-BSD list
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-bsd/2002/10/msg00063.html), as he was, as far
as I can tell, the DD behind that project.  I've included him in this thread;
hopefully he can provide some foresight beyond what I could find.

I happened to recall seeing OpenBSD on the ports page last time I visited it;
needless to say, I was rather surprised to realize it's been many years since
I've been to that page.  OpenBSD is no longer listed there.

> For third-party apps, aptitude and binary updates are very handy
> compared to the current state on OpenBSD.

I'm not sure there's much of any dispute except among the Gentoo ricers and
Red Hat bigots over the superiority of apt and dpkg at this point.  I could
be wrong; I haven't really used anything but Debian for more than relatively
brief periods of time when no Debian option was available for some time now.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca