Re: Liberation Fonts on Debian Etch

Chris Bannister:
> Ron Johnson:
> > Amit Uttamchandani:
> > > My question is, how do I go about installing [the Liberation
> > > fonts] and using it exclusively?
> >
> > They are at debian-multimedia.org as ttf-liberation.
>
> Not for Etch there's not.
>
>    # apt-cache search ttf-liberation
>    #

Thanks to fontconfig, starting with Etch, installing new fonts has
become really easy.

System wide:
    Whilst the package manager puts its fonts into /usr/share/fonts,
    the correct place for you to put yours would be
    /usr/local/share/fonts, or any subdirectory thereof, such as
    /usr/local/share/fonts/truetype (or even deeper).

Per user:
    Put your fonts into ~/.fonts, or any subdirectory thereof.

No further action required, works immediately.
(Well, you may have to restart a program, OpenOffice in particular.)

Also works for Type 1 fonts, consisting of 2 files: a .pfa or .pfb
file, and a .afm file.

BTW, I have the Liberation fonts as the standard fonts for Qt and GTK,
since they look great on screen.