Re: What use is gstreamer?

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 11:59 AM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/8/08, Keith Richie <disturbed1976@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Looks like you're missing gstreamer-bad, ugly, lame, and ffmpeg. The
>  > gstreamer-ffmpeg from debian is missing full codec support. (If you
>
>  OK, I can install those. I'm not very up on gstreamer, so I'm not sure
>  what the differences
>  are with respect to those various plugins (i.e., what makes a plugin
>  "good" or "bad" or "ugly" - I
>  suppose it's not a reference to spaghetti westerns? :).
>

>  > gst-launch-0.10 -v -t playbin uri=http://streaming.wrfg.org:80/
>  > 2>&1|tee failure.txt
>  > To see where it goes wrong.
>
>  I tried this (helps to install gstreamer-tools first!) and this
>  doesn't look good:
>
>  dfox@m206-157:~$ gst-launch-0.10 -v -t playbin uri=http://streaming.wrfg.org:80/
>  OIL: ERROR liboiltest.c 361: oil_test_check_impl(): illegal
>  instruction in mmxCombineAddU
>  Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
>  ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
>  ERROR: from element /playbin0: A HTTP protocol source plugin is
>  required to play this stream, but not installed.
>  Additional debug info:
>  gstplaybasebin.c(1663): gen_source_element (): /playbin0:
>  No URI handler for http
>  Setting pipeline to NULL ...
>  FREEING pipeline ...
>
>  This is on lenny, athlon thunderbird 1Ghz machine. Some newer athlons
>  have instructions that this particular stepping doesn't have. I"ve
>  been bitten by this before.
>
>  Perhaps I'll file a bug report.
>

>  > On my system it uses libmad (gst-ugly) to decode the stream.
>
>  I installed gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly, but this didn't help.
>
>  Oddly enough, mplayer (even using -playlist) loops in an http dialog
>  trying to get to the stream url, but fails. gxine won't play the url
>  either. Yet as I mentioned in the prior posting, playing within
>  iceweasel doesn't pose a problem.

This what I get.

$ gst-launch-0.10 -v -t playbin uri=http://streaming.wrfg.org:80/
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
/playbin0/source: iradio-genre = "Various"
/playbin0/source: iradio-name = "WRFG 89.3 FM"
/playbin0/source: iradio-url = "http://www.wrfg.org";
/playbin0/source.src: caps = application/x-icy, metadata-interval=(int)8192
/playbin0/decodebin0/typefind.src: caps = application/x-icy,
metadata-interval=(int)8192
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
/playbin0/decodebin0/typefind.sink: caps = application/x-icy,
metadata-interval=(int)8192
/playbin0/decodebin0.sink: caps = application/x-icy, metadata-interval=(int)8192
/playbin0/decodebin0.sink: caps = application/x-icy, metadata-interval=(int)8192
/playbin0/decodebin0.sink.proxypad0: caps = application/x-icy,
metadata-interval=(int)8192
/playbin0/decodebin0/icydemux0.sink: caps = application/x-icy,
metadata-interval=(int)8192
/playbin0/selector_audio_src0: active-pad = "sink0"
/playbin0/preroll_audio_src0: min-threshold-time = 2850000000
/playbin0/decodebin0/mad0.sink: caps = audio/mpeg, mpegversion=(int)1,
layer=(int)3
FOUND TAG      : found by element "mad0".
           layer: 3
            mode: mono
        emphasis: none
     audio codec: MPEG-1 layer 3
         bitrate: 56000
/playbin0/decodebin0/mad0.src: caps = audio/x-raw-int,
endianness=(int)1234, signed=(boolean)true, width=(int)32,
depth=(int)32, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)1

Good - bad - ugly,

gst-plugins-base
    contains a basic set of well-supported plug-ins
gst-plugins-ugly
    contains a set of well-supported plug-ins, but might pose problems
for distributors
gst-plugins-bad
    contains a set of less supported plug-ins that haven't passed the
rigorous quality testing we expect

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/

What does iceweasel open the stream with? AFAIK, there isn't an
internal plp (play list parser) built in, but it instead hands it off
to either a plugin (totem (gstreamer/xine), vlc, or mplayer) or simply
prompts to download the file if the MIME type isn't set.

A HTTP protocol source plugin is required to play this stream, but not
installed.
^^ that's a big hint in your error output.
The gstreamer-http plugin is part of gstreamer-plugins. Could be
called gst-base or gst-good.

Here's the list of gstreamer for debian testing
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gstreamer&searchon=names&suite=testing&section=all

I seriously doubt you 1gig Tbird has anything to do with it. My AMD
850 ran multimedia apps just fine. I know it's missing SSE, but has
standard MMX extensions. MP3 encoding/decoding doesn't use SSE and not
MMX unless explicitly compiled to do so.