Re: Exim4 - local mail deliveries

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 20:02:22 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 21:22:40 +0000, Felix Karpfen wrote:

>> After switching to mbox format, I can receive
>>
>> "echo "just a test..." | mail -s "test-local" $USER@localhost"
>>
>> when run from a "user" terminal.
>>
>> ziltch for
>>
>> "echo "just a test..." | mail -s "test-local 2" $USER"
>
> That means that exim4 knows how to do local deliveries, but it does not
> seem to realize that carrot.cabbagepatch is "local".
>
> (The first command above sends mail to felixk@localhost, the second one
>  to felixk@carrot.cabbagepatch.)
>
>> and ziltch if either command is run as "root".
>
> Mails to root@localhost get redirected to felixk@carrot.cabbagepatch,
> which does not work; mails to root@carrot.cabbagepatch get stuck
> immediately.

SNIP

> Logcheck and other demons use the hostname in /etc/mailname. Exim does
> not realize that this is the same machine, which means that you have to
> fix your exim configuration and/or your /etc/hosts file.

logcheck.conf offers a choice of where to send notifications.  I had
set it to "felixk@carrot.cabbage.patch".  It looks as though I would
have spared myself a lot of headaches, if I had selected
"felixk@localhost"

> I would try this:
>
> Run "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" and make sure that "system mail
> name" is set to "carrot.cabbagepatch" and "other destinations for which
> mail is accepted" is set to "localhost;carrot.cabbagepatch". Then try
> the mail commands again.

Did that (although the screen indicated that exim4 already recognised
"localhost" and "carrot.cabbage.patch").

Now everything works.  Thank you for the help.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)