Re: Personal backup of copy-protected DVDs

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 03:08:02PM +0100, Kurt Petersen wrote:
My daughter want to make some backups of her games on copy-protected
DVDs.
Anybody knows how to do that with Linux?
Seeing as how its called copy-protection, is this something that you
want to do?  Even if it is possible, you must ask yourself if it is
right. Check your license agreement.

In many countries a license agreement is only valid if you agree before the purchase. If you sign a paper before buying the game or possibly if the license is clearly written in the box; then you are bound to it; otherwise not.

This is logical: suppose I pay by credit card and after the purchase I try to block the payment saying that the seller have to agree to a license agreement I have written in order to be paid and that if he does not agree he can collect back the product at my home. It would be absurd to authorize such comportment. It is as absurd to authorize a similar comportment the other way around: that in order to use what I have purchase; I have to agree to further terms or return the product.

Obviously you are remain bound by the copyright law (which is similar in almost all countries) and in some countries (but not all) by DMCA. I know that in some countries (I believe in Netherlands and Switzerland) you can use song or movies for your private use without further restrictions; even if you have downloaded the sound from an illegal website (I think that in Switzerland it does not applies for software).

Olive