Re: dpkg --force-architecture to install 32-bit software on 64-bit system - bad idea?

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 01:21:36PM -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> And, if so, how bad?  I have installed Kompozer (the successor to
> Nvu), but the Debian package is a 32-bit package.  I forced it to
> install anyway, and it seems to run just fine, although launching it
> caused a bunch of  the following :Gtk-WARNING **:
> /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-uim.so: wrong ELF class:
> ELFCLASS64.
>
> Is there an Approved Way of installing 32-bit packages when no 64-bit
> package is available?  (Kompozer is not in the official Debian
> repository, for some reason.)

Yes.  Its called an i386 chroot.  You then use schroot to access the
program as a normal user and it takes care of bind-mounting all the
necessary directories.

If you just have the one package you want to install, I would use mc to
enter the deb then manually copy the files to /usr/local or /opt.
However, some programes are hard-coded to think that they are in e.g.
/usr/bin and their libs are in /usr/lib and will look in /usr/lib
instead of ../lib/

Doug.