Re: unix and email viruses

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 06:24:51PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 03/03/2008, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> > True enough. The one time that happened to me I had installed some
> > extra apache packages that were vulnerable, so some spammer basically
> > was able to hijack my box, and send stock and other spams out. I was
> > able to get it stopped but the cleanup (which included getting my ip
> > unbanned from various RBLs) was nightmarish. I don't bother doing any
> > web services here, so I don't install the stuff for that. anymore.
>
> You managed to get off those lists? Wow. I've never been on one, but
> there was a thread on the php list once and it looked like once you
> are on, you don't get back off.

Apropos to this... I made a mistake in my exim configuration the other
day and left an open relay for about 4 or 5 days. I haven't looked at
the total damage yet, but had to purge about 10,000 frozen ones from
my queue. THat's just the frozen ones... yikes. I hang my head in
shame.

So I'll be reporting back on how the dns blacklisting
works... hopefully I won't make it on as it was only open for a few
days...

> Actually, if it's a pain in the ass but possible, then I'm all for
> every zombie getting blacklisted. Let all the AOL don't-update-windows
> click-on-everything idiots be banned from emailing me. Let them then
> work hard to get off the blacklist so they understand that like
> driving a car, using a computer entails responsibility.

turns out it's not just zombie AOLers... :( but linux admins working
too late at night too... :(