Re: unix and email viruses

On 3/3/08, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:

> By definition, if your user can send mail, your can serve as a spam
> zombie.

True enough. The one time that happened to me I had installed some
extra apache packages that were vulnerable, so some spammer basically
was able to hijack my box, and send stock and other spams out. I was
able to get it stopped but the cleanup (which included getting my ip
unbanned from various RBLs) was nightmarish. I don't bother doing any
web services here, so I don't install the stuff for that. anymore.