Re: xorg and aspect ratio's

Alex Samad wrote:
On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 07:16:11AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
Alex Samad wrote:

I am having a problem with my X server. i am using amd64 with nvidia

I have it connected to a plasma screen its an old one with a menu option
for 4:3 or 16:9

I would like to keep it in 16:9 mode for watching video's, but when i do
this. my aspect ration seems to go askew.  I have tested this by using
xli to display a jpg on the screen and on my laptop (windows) and on
another debian amd64 machine.
How do you watch the videos? If you are using mplayer, look into the -monitoraspect, -monitorpixelaspect options.
nope hadn't been
Also, are you also running at a resolution that is 16:9?
resolution is 1280x1024

but can't I set pixel aspect for X ?

For an aspect ratio 16:9, you should probably be running at 1280x720 resolution. Otherwise, everything would appear scaled out of proportion.

Raj Kiran Grandhi
At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.