latest debian gnome accessibility attempt

Okay, I got /usr/bin/gnome-session in an .xinitrc file and that hasn't helped. I got what may be a login beep back and get thrown out trying to log into gnome. So I log into text terminal and start up orca with orca --setup and answer the questions. At the end I get told cannot restart orca because DISPLAY isn't set and I'm told to make sure DISPLAY is set. So I do export DISPLAY=:0.0 and then try running orca again and this time not with --setup parameter. I get the following output I pasted into memory with speakup.
cut here.
export DISPLAY=:0.0
myhome:~# orca
Xlib: No protocol specified