Re: Seeking Wisdom Concerning Backups

Brian McKee wrote:

On 28-Feb-08, at 6:49 PM, Kent West wrote:

I have a small server on which I need to backup the /home partition.

I have a Barracuda Terastation Pro backup server sitting right next to it, connected via Ethernet.

The problem is that the Terastation Pro only offers three connection methods: Windows Fileshare (Samba/smb/cifs), Apple Filesharing (AFS), and FTP).

I came into the Linux world about the time that FTP was being deprecated in favor of SFTP and its variants, so I have a real skittishness of using plain FTP. AFS is irrelevant for me. And Samba, whereas slightly distasteful, would be okay, except for two problems:

1. file permissions are not preserved when doing something like rsync, and
2. tarballs get truncated at an apparent 2GB limit when using tar.

That sounds to me like the issue is the device you are backing up to, not your preferred backup method :-) Is there no way to reformat the backup server? A 2 gig limit sounds like FAT32 to me.... (I could be wrong)
and thus why your permissions aren't respected either.

The Terastation Pro's drive is formatted XFS. I'm pretty sure the 2GB limitation is some sort of interaction between tar and SMB, and I'm fairly confident that permissions issue is SMB-related also.

--
Kent