wireless card fried?

Hi

Since yesterday I can't use my wireless card anymore, an
Intel 2200bg. iwconfig and dmesg report that the kill switch is
on, which is confirmed by

>cat /sys/bus/.../ipw2200/rf_kill
>2

Any attempt to change that value is fruitless. Switching on and
off the wireless switch does nothing. Only sometimes the
wireless led stays on for some 20 seconds and then dies again. The
only thing that makes me doubt about it being a hardware problem
is that, when somehow said led is on, it consistently turns itself
off as soon as I modprobe the module for the card.

Apart from a hibernate upgrade some two days ago (which I have
already downgraded just in case) I can't see anything relevant I
might've installed this recently.

I get the same with several kernels and even with a live CD.
Nothing I found in google solve/apply to my case. I don't know what
to do now to check where the problem lies...