vertical scroll on my touchpad not working

Hi

I've installed debian amd64 on a Toshiba laptop A215-S7413.  I failed
to get the touchpad vertical scrolling to work (basic functions work
fine).  Here is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Module"
    Load    "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option      "AutoRepeat" "195 35"
    Option      "XkbRules"  "xorg"
    Option      "XkbModel"  "pc104"
    Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option      "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps,altwin:left_meta_win"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Synaptics TouchPad"
    Driver      "synaptics"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option      "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
    Option      "VertEdgeScroll" "on"
    Option      "HorizEdgeScroll" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Default Screen"
    Monitor     "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

I looked at /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/trouble-shooting.txt.gz
and found that number 5 may be talking about my problem:

5. Check that the synaptics driver is properly loaded by the X server

The X log file is usually called /var/log/XFree86.0.log or
/var/log/Xorg.0.log. It should contain something like this:

        (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
        (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/synaptics_drv.o
        (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                compiled for 4.3.99.902, module version = 1.0.0
                Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
                ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4

If the LoadModule line is missing, you probably forgot to add

        Load "synaptics"

to the "Module" section in the X config file, or you modified the
wrong config file. Some systems that have been upgraded from XFree86
to Xorg or from XFree86 3.x to XFree86 4.x can have multiple config
files in the /etc/X11/ directory, but only one is used.

Next, check that the log file also contains a line like this:

        (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.13.4

If there is no such line, there is probably a binary compatibility
problem between the synaptics driver and the X server.

Possible fixes:

1. Try upgrading to the latest synaptics driver.

2. Try installing the X SDK package if it is available for your
   version of X. (In Fedora Core 2, that package is called
   xorg-x11-sdk-6.7.0-2.i386.rpm.) Then re-compile the synaptics
   driver and try again.

3. Make sure the driver is compiled with the same compiler version as
   the X server.

So I have on my /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//synaptics_drv.so
(II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        compiled for 4.3.99.902, module version = 1.0.0
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.0

but I couldn't find

(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.13.4

(or some other version).  Unlike on my other laptop, I can see this
line among other options related to synaptics.  Also, if I run
qsynaptics it said please install driver so I suppose the driver may
not be installed properly.

So regarding the 3 suggestions from
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/trouble-shooting.txt.gz,
I'm not exactly sure what to do on Debian.  Any suggestions would be
welcome.

Thanks a lot.

Manu