Daemon Creation

Hello Guys,

I’ve got a python script which I’m looking to launch as a Daemon on my system. There are a few things which need to be handled on the python side of things to get this to work, but I can deal with these myself without any issues.

Where I DO need help though is with regards to writing the Daemon file for init.d which can then be used to launch and stop the Daemon. I hound an excellent little tutorial based here: http://girasoli.org/?p=120 which has helped me get started by creating a copy of the skeleton Daemon and start to customize it, however, it seems a little out of date and I need a little help with this.

Within the Daemon control script we have do_start() and do_stop() methods. I need to know if these really need to be modified as stated in the tutorial? At the moment my start script looks like this:

do_start()

{

       # Return

       #   0 if daemon has been started

       #   1 if daemon was already running

       #   2 if daemon could not be started

       start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON --test > /dev/null \

              || return 1

       start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON -- \ $DAEMON_ARGS \

              || return 2

       # Add code here, if necessary, that waits for the process to be ready

       # to handle requests from services started subsequently which depend

       # on this one.  As a last resort, sleep for some time.

}

Is that correct? Presumably I need to remove one of those start commands? Right? The same rule applied to the do_stop() method which currently contains a start-stop-daemon request, do I need to replace that with a standard kill command? Or will the start-stop-daemon handle that for me?

Thanks for any input you can offer guys, I appreciate it.

Robert

Think you know your TV, music and film? Try Search Charades!