Re: Installing Debian from USB pen drive

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:
> On Friday 29 February 2008 07:15, Santanu Chatterjee wrote:
>  > Hello Everybody,
>  >
>  > I was trying to install a very basic debian system from my 2GB
>  > USB Pen Drive. For that, I did the following:

>  Why don't you follow what is said there:
>  http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s04.html#usb-copy-easy
>  It's working just fine for me.

Yeah. This is the one I followed (especially the section: "Copying
files the flexible way"). But the reason I modified it a bit was because:
If I used the vmlinuz and initrd.gz from the hd-media link as given in
the article, and use a netinst.iso with it, when the installer gets the iso
image, it gives me all kinds of errors related to modules that were not
found and my installation fails.

But after your mail, I did a diff between the vmlinuz in hd-media and the
one inside the netinst.iso and they differ (I thought they were same).
I will try with the vmlinuz from hd-media and the initrd.gz from the
iso image. Let's see what happens.

Will report back tomorrow.

Regards,
Santanu