Re: Idea of a Debian Mascot [Was: FW: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections]

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 03:03:40AM +0100, s. keeling wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>:

> >  Can't call it the Debian Shrimp since its nees so much memory...
>
> Bite your tongue:
>
> (0) phreaque /home/keeling_ free
> Mem:        508752     475916      32836          0       9352     254400
> -/+ buffers/cache:     212164     296588
> Swap:       248968         64     248904
>
> Blame yourself if your system's too fat.

What if the box only has 32 MB?  Installer certainly doesn't run and if
I do the drive-shell game and install on a different box then move the
drive back, login to bash shell takes about 30 seconds of 100% CPU with
bash running all the default bashrc and profiles (with all there if-fi
blocks [e.g. is this a chroot? set the promt to this, etc]).  Then even
with locales removed, things are still linked to the libs (whatever they
are called) so things run very slowly.

Its very nice on my Athlon64 and acceptable on my P-II.  However, the
P-II only has 64 MB ram so aptitude and Xorg each hit swap.

Doug.