Re: usbcore and ndiswrapper for toshiba laptop

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 18:56:21 -0500, diane mittnik wrote:
> Toshiba laptop A215-S7422, debian etch installed
> # uname -a: 2.6.22-4-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 10:29:27 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I'm following the instructions here:
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/trying-to-load-module-ndiswrapper-with-modprobe-modprobe-ndiswrapper-doesnt-work-322203/?s=16932898c44a3ad09908835b182b666d
> if link above broken, look here:
> http://tinyurl.com/2a9jcj
>

> I have the ndiswrapper deb installed, ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, deb
> version 1.28-1 (stable), but usbcore appears to be missing.

I think you do not have to worry about the usbcore module; AFAIK it is
always compiled into the Debian kernels. You can check this easily:

$ grep 'CONFIG_USB[= ]' /boot/config-$(uname -r)
CONFIG_USB=y

(For a module you would see "...=m"; "# CONFIG_USB is not set" would
 mean that it is not included at all, which is extremely unlikely.)

Are you actually trying to get a USB-based network card to work, or are
you only worried about usbcore because it is mentioned in the
linuxquestions.org discussion? To deal with problems related to USB
devices, we need to see the output of "lsusb".

> The relevant info:

[...]

> # modprobe ndiswrapper
> FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found

[...]

> I tried
> compiling ndiswrapper with module-assistant, and got an error message:
>
> /usr/src/modules/ndiswrapper/ndis.c:1862: warning: unused variable 'radio_status'

Is this the only warning or error message?

> which is referenced as a debian bug:

Maybe you have to use the newer ndiswrapper source available in Lenny.

> # lspci

[...]

> 08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)

Which ethernet card/chipset are you trying to get going, this one?
Check with "lspci -nn" if it is identified as "[10ec:8136]"; in that
case it should be supported by the r8169 module, which is included in
the standard Debian kernels.

(The linuxquestions.org thread that you referenced above mentions
 different devices, so it also does not tell us with which hardware you
 are actually having problems.)

          Florian   |