Additional RAM brings Lenny to a slow-down

Hi all

My question is: are there any known limits on the amount of RAM Lenny can operate with?

I have a Lenny machine with an FSB800 board using an Intel P4 chip and has 2 x DDR2-533 RAM slots. I know that the board is supported in Linux http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.php?story=03/08/19/1521256 and I have run Lenny on this machine previously with no worries.

I installed two identical 1Gb RAM chips and while the machine runs just fine with 1Gb it grinds to a halt with 2Gb, taking up to a full 10 minutes from loading GRUB to logging onto to GDM.

I have ensured that the BIOS can handle hi-mem, and as it boots fine, there is no reason to believe that the problem is there. That leaves the software. Is there a switch or some adjustment to tweak to make Lenny utilise the additional RAM properly?

TIA

Andy