gnome-volume-manager

Is anyone else having problems with gnome-volume-manager? I'm running Sid with apt-get upgrade last run yesterday. gvm is not running as a daemon and when I run "gnome-volume-manager" at a bash prompt either as a regular user or as root I get the error that the command is not found. It is installed. So is gnome-mount, and hald is running. I'm a member of the plugdev and cdrom groups. It's really odd as I can burn cds and dvds with k3b, but then the drive won't read them. It tells me that the checksum failed after checking the "verify" option k3b. However, the drive will read the same disks and they work fine in another computer. The other thing that's really odd is that the drive will recognize blank disks and display an icon for them on the desktop, but as soon as I write data to that cd it will no longer recognize it unless I manually mount either /dev/hdb or /media/cdrom0 as root. I have a machine that runs Etch and /usr/bin/gnome-volume-manager exists on it. It doesn't exist on my machine that runs Sid. Anyone know what's going on with this?