Re: Best Distro for the consumers market ??

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace a écrit :
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:52:49 +0100
stephane lepain <penguindeb@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I have been reading couple of posts talking about different kind of distros, but what would you guys suggest as the best distro for the consumers market? There would be a need of stability and reliability.
Of course, it would have to be easy to use for the end users.
As a complete newbie to IT and Linux, I have tested Mandriva 2008, Ubuntu, and now Debian etch and testing. I found Debian testing the
best of all: etch being not very compatible with new hardware and
software. Testing on the other hand is the most up to date distro,
fairely compatible with newest technologie (software and hardware
from the consumers market) and quite easy to maintain.
Yet, i would suppose that my opinion is quite biased and what I could suggest as the best distro for the consumers market might not be the case. So I would appreciate if you guys could give me your opinions.

Thank you all

PS: I tested all those distros on a AMD64 3800+

Ubuntu.

Why? Because it works.
Consumers don't care about freedom.  If they did, they're all be using
FOSS on the desktop right now and MS would go bust within days.
Consumers want a product that allows them to access YouTube, the BBC
and bittorrent/kazaa/<other file sharing network> with minimal (possibly
0!) effort.

If I buy a laptop for my Dad or any other relative, I expect it to work
out of the box without any questions.  The new Dell Ubuntu-based
laptops do this. My Dad (and indeed probably 98% of consumers) doesn't
need anything more than a word processor, an email client and a web
browser.  OpenOffice, Firefox and Thunderbird do this very nicely.

Personally it's my belief that if you want a stable OS that you can
rely on for servers/corporate desktops, use Debian/Gentoo/RHEL/SuSE.
If you want a desktop that has the software you need for a Personal
Computer, use Ubuntu.

My £0.02,

M.
Point taken there. Though, I had so much trouble running Ubuntu 7.10 that I gave it up. I remember in particular trying to use flash technology on my AMD64 with Ubuntu 7.10. I used Iceweasel and Epiphany but both crashed nonstop. After that I went for Debian and it was so easy to run and maintain that I kept using it. May be I should try Ubuntu again, but I dread it :) (As a newbie of course). Like you said though, I am using Debian testing in a very simple way. I think the most important for me is the spirit in which Debian is run. It tries to stay free of any proprietary software and/or hardware. Ubuntu is unable to say the same. I believe (but again my opinion my not count here because of my lack of experience) but anything that becomes proprietary has a tendency to become crap (ie windows). Then it becomes just a money making machine. It locks people into a world and don't give them any choice at all to move away. Not that I mind people making money, but if they make money with a crap software or piece of hardware then it becomes an issue.