Re: finally got lenny installed

On 27/02/2008, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:33:45AM +0000, Robin <rc.rattusrattus@googlemail.com> was heard to say:

> Why should you have to mark all the packages you want to keep? It is the
> wrong way round from a user perspective.

  Because they were originally installed as a dependency of another
package.  aptitude has no way to know that gnome-desktop (eg) is a fake
package whose dependencies should be kept on if it gets removed, so if
you want to get automatic removal of unused packages, you end up with
situations like this.

  If you don't care about this feature, you can turn it off under
Options/Dependency Handling by disabling "Remove unused packages
automatically", or add "Aptitude::Delete-Unused false;" to
/etc/apt/apt.conf.

  Daniel

I know why it does it, what I'm saying is the default behaviour is wrong. A user new to debian/aptitude is unlikely  to understand that it is a configuration option that needs to be turned off, whereas a more experienced/technical user is more likely to have the knowledge to turn the option on.

--
rob

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=82BS4ZCMFR1