Re: PPPOE Connection

John Hasler wrote:
Henrique writes:
I have Debian Sarge R3.1 installed. I ran pppoeconf to configure my adsl
connection.

I wrote:
Are you sure you need to?  Most ADSL modems handle PPPoE themselves and act
as routers.

H.S. writes:
If he wants to make the ADSL modem work in bridge mode then yes, he does.

First he would need to know that is possible and configure the modem to do
so.  Given his question that seems unlikely.

Henrique:  Is your modem in bridge mode?

Which reminds me that at least three modems that I have tired in the last few years (one was Speedstream 5400 or 4200), one was by Gentek and the current is by tp-link (yes, i know, *very* obscure brand) have worked in bridge or router (pppoe) mode depending on how the computer makes the connection.

If the computer asked for a dhcp address, the modem worked in pppoe mode and gave the lan computer a dhcp address. The modem then had to be given the pppoe login and password.

If the computer supplied the login and password from a pppoe dialer, the modem worked in bridge mode.

I would assume that these modems were configured to detect this automatically. I cannot say for sure if this is a prevalent practice though.

regards.