Re: HD problems

Zach wrote:

> It's a Toshiba ATA disk, MK6026 GAX, 60GB, another $60 sigh.

Hi Zach,

>From my limited experience, the Toshiba laptop hard drives are pretty bad.
They always go bad after 1 or 2 years. The problem is exactly as you
describe. No problems before and one fine day it decides to give
input/output errors and then a little grinding noise couple of times and
nothing works afterwards. You can recover the data by sending it to a
professional data recovery services but they are quite expensive (roughly
10 times the cost of hard drive). I hope you have backups :-)

If you had to buy a new laptop hard drive, go with some other brand. I was
told that the laptop hard drives in IBM thinkpad's are pretty robust. You
can probably search for their brand and purchase that.

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi