Re: famd strikes again

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:
> it happened again. my wife complained that her login was locked up, she
>  couldn't read her email.
>  I did a CTRL-ALT-F7 to get to my login, works fine, email...
>
>  ps -ef|grep kmail
>  found her process, killed it.
>  CTRL-ALT-F8 to get to her login, still locked up. nothing works.
>  CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to mine.
>
>  # ps -ef|grep famd
>  USER_     4409     1 86 10:01 ?        07:32:13 /usr/sbin/famd -T 0
>
>  /etc/init.d/fam restart
>
>  everything works fine again..
>  # ps -ef|grep famd
>  root     18821     1  0 18:42 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/famd -T 0
>
>  the other user USER_ owned the famd process.. but when I restarted it, root
>  owns it.

I don't know about this particular issue, but I found famd to
be a constant source of problems. Gamin is better, but not
perfect. I actually don't have either one installed - not very
many things actually depend on them. I do have libfam
installed - lots of things depend on that or libgamin, but
even libfam and libgamin don't depend on their daemons
(they merely suggest them). Unless you really need fam,
you should look into removing it.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers