Re: debian vs centos as server

On 2008-02-27T08:46:23+0800, hhding wrote:
> why debian?
> why centos?
>
> It seems same to me, and current we run debian as server.
> But managers want run centos instead.

Installers are different and both work fine here.

Debian's package managers (aptitude, apt-get) are much better than
yum as found in CentOS-4 (this is comparing current stable against one
major version older than current).  yum and up2date apparently do not
mix.  For instance after adding a 2nd archive I was not able to figure
out, for a given installed package, which archive it came from.

Debian repository has more stuff than CentOS, but 3rd party often make
rpms available as the only option besides source.  I tried installing
nagios which is not in the official repository, and ended up having to
add a whole other repository to the list to resolve dependencies.  Ton
of packages were upgraded before I figured out there was a add-on
package to yum that gives a simplistic version of pinning.

I trust the timely security update process that Debian uses (emails,
packages etc).  Something similar was not apparent to me when I looked
for at the CentOS web site (please look yourself, maybe I am just not
finding it).

The only reason that CentOS was installed here in order to mirror our
production environment which use RH.

As others have said I would not sweat it.

/Allan