Re: Unable to su as a user, I get: Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied

I do not want to kill this to death but..on a good system:
mach1:/bin# ls -l bash
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 769368 2006-12-11 17:28 bash

No one knows how to force a fresh copy of the base debian setup?? with overly impacting my present system ??? to take care of the xwindows and bash issuse????

please???
mjh

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Rich Healey <healey.rich@gmail.com> wrote:

Michael Habashy wrote:
> sorry..i lost you on that...you think that someone changed the permissions
> on /bin/bash ???
> they are set to 766 to root.root
>
> can you try to phrase things differently ???
> thanks
> mjh

> as
> me
> Cannot

> su root /bin/sh
> then chmod a+x /bin/bash
>
> i think someone has been messing with you.
>
> Also to be a right prat, chmod a-x `which chmod` (don't do it, but i've
> always been tempted to try it.....)
>
> Worth noting that in runlevel 1 you get a root sh , so you could put it
> right that way as well.

- --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

it should be 755. 7 = rwx, 5 = rx, 6 = rw