Re: nvidia driver breaks when rebooting-SOLVED

On Mon February 25 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > and KDE then starts.
> > what is wrong and why doesn't xwindows work when I reboot?
> > needless to say I have an NVIDIA GEforce 7300 card..
>
> You probably tried to use the Debian nvidia packages at some point and
> you did not purge them from your system when you switched to nvidia's
> installer. Check /etc/init.d/ for the presence of nvidia-* scripts. If
> these scripts are still present then you have to purge
> nvidia-kernel-common and whatever nvidia-glx* package you had installed
> previously.

I removed those packages and now I rebooted to find:
network works
Xwindows comes up using the NVIDIA driver.

so all is right with the world, and my wife can reboot my computer if I am
away ( not that she wants to, but we live in an area with violent
thunderstorms and power goes out once in a while..)

thanks for your help!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800