nvidia driver breaks when rebooting (was: reinstalling/redoing network)

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 13:27:42 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Mon February 25 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > You only need to edit one file, /etc/network/interfaces and my guess is
> > your setup should just work like this:
> >
> > ---[ /etc/network/interfaces ]---
> >
> > allow-hotplug eth0
> > iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> ok, now I reboot and the network works. but now I have no X-windows.
> now when I reboot I get dropped into the text-based login prompt and I have to
> do this each time:
>
> export CC=gcc-4.1
> cd /home/pbc/Doc*/sof*
> sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.09-pkg1.run
>
> /etc/init.d/kdm restart
>
> and KDE then starts.
> what is wrong and why doesn't xwindows work when I reboot?
> needless to say I have an NVIDIA GEforce 7300 card..

You probably tried to use the Debian nvidia packages at some point and
you did not purge them from your system when you switched to nvidia's
installer. Check /etc/init.d/ for the presence of nvidia-* scripts. If
these scripts are still present then you have to purge
nvidia-kernel-common and whatever nvidia-glx* package you had installed
previously.

          Florian   |