Re: how to get pulseaudio working?

On 2/23/08, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 1:00 AM, Bruno Boettcher
<bboett@bboett.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Hello
>
>  am trying to get the replication of audio working, no success so far...
>
>  i read through the docu at the pulseaudio pages, which i can't really
>  apply since i am running gnome, and as it seems gnome allready starts up
>  a pulseaudio daemon....
>
>  on the laptop i use for the tests, all seems fine, i also installed on
>  all machines the pulseaudio device chooser.
>
>  on the laptop i can start up the volume control, the manager and all
>  pulse related tools, but when i run audacious the sounds comes out very
>  awfully means 10ms of music, then 1s pause repeated ......
>  but this is maybe beacause of the laptop which isn't very powerful....
>
>  so i tryed to make the laptop a slave of the server....
>
>  but on the server i get an access denied when i try to start up most of
>  the pulseaudio  utils, no access to the volume-manager , the manager
>  shows only a completely empty record the configurator has all fields
>  highlighted so server and cleint should be activated, and no auth
>  needed....
>
>  when i select the pulseaudio output on audacious, the sound vanishes
>  completely....
>
>  besides, on the server i see on the pulseaudio device chooser the
>  laptop, as i do on the laptop itself, but on none i see the server....
>
>  so i am quite at a loss on what to do, no error messages are displayed,
>    neither in messages, nor in any pulse-log i could find... no errors
>    in the .X* logs.... have no idea on how to diagnostice this thing and
>    get it running...

Let's start with the laptop, and local PA only. If you want remote
capability, we can look at that once we get local sound working.

You say the laptop  isn't very powerful, but what exactly does that
mean?

What version of Debian are you using?

Are you using the "perfect setup" docs?
( http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup )

I've been somewhat curious about using pulse, but there have been several emails on this list suggesting that it isn't as easy as just removing esound and installing some pulseaudio* packages.  Something that I did a few months ago on my Sid desktop boxes.  I haven't noticed any change after that; sound just kept on working.

One thing that seems to be missing from most pages/posts are instructions to see what the current setup really is.  After installing the pulseaudio* packages I'm still no wiser as to whether I'm using them or not.  So, how do I know what my current (working) audio setup actually is?

/M