Re: mkinitrd and glibc version problem in etch

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 04:25:02PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> What warnings did you get about LVM?  It is rather nice to be able to
> resize partitions, but also migrate partitions of of failing drives.  On
> all my old boxes (that are still new enough to run Debian), drive
> failures start with wierd error messages.  Using LVM, I can migrate the
> data onto more reliable drives, then stress-test the failing ones to
> either get them working or just ditch them.

Yes it all sounds idyllic, which is why I allowed the installer to do
its default thing and install lvm and choose its own partitioning -- I
assumed it was simple to resize and extend later.  Then when I came to
read the man pages and google for advice on the rather inscrutable
commands to re-allocate the space between the partitions, there seemed
to be warnings of terrible possible data losses.  I am sorry, but I
don't remember the details.  I asked on this list and got little solace,
tried to shrink one partition in order to expand another, and found that
it was impossible, and gave up rather feebly.  Something like that,
anyway.

As I said, I am at home with fdisk and parted.  And can boot from
knoppix and copy a whole partition off when I need to, whereas knoppix
doesn't seem to know about the lvm partitions.  Probably my lack of
knowledge, though: I am sure knoppix can mount the LVM in capable hands.
I expect I am just showing my age.

--
richard