Re: mkinitrd and glibc version problem in etch

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:22:59PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:16:34PM +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > Silly situation:  I have been wanting to release my etch install from
> > the LVM so as to be able to adjust the partitioning.  The arrangement
[...]

> > Problem 1: How do I solve that?
>
> I don't know as you can.  When things are on an LV, the initrd is made
> to work with this.  When things are on normal partitons, the initrd is
> made to work with that.  The fix involves remaking the initrd but I have
> never done that.

That is exactly where I was, like a chroot install or a gentoo
install...

> > Problem 2: I had the bright idea to install another kernel while in the
> > chroot, and let the install make its own initrd.  I saw in aptitude that
>
> whilst you were in the midst of problem number 1?

Well, exactly because of it.  Usually a new kernel install makes a new
initrd, so I assumed it would bring enough tools to do so.

[...]
> > I am doing something daft, but what? (other than having tried to fix
> > something that wasn't broke).
>
> Yes.  I don't see why, if you're already on LVM and you need more space,
> you didn't just add the extra partition as a PV and add that to the VG

It looked very complicated and came with all sorts of warnings.  With
conventional partitions, I know where I am.  fdisk and parted are my
(old) friends.
[...]

> Is this a straight Etch (nothing else)?  If so, why would your perl need
> a non-existant libc6.

It was installed before etch became stable, and perhaps not quite up to
date.  It seems this must be the source of the problem.  Though nothing
else ever complained. And even sound worked -- which it doesn't under sid,
which I did just try out on another partition.  I always used to run
sid, years ago, but now looks like a tricky moment to go there -- quite
a few important (to me) things are broken.  It's okay if you are running
sid in a workable state, you can just wait your moment to update stuff,
but when you are going to jump in you are committed to a snapshot (or a
lot of work).

> I hope you kept backups and if not, make a full set before you do
> anything else.  That is, copy /home and /etc plus anything in
> /usr/local, /var, /var/local, or /opt that you would want.  This sounds
> like its spirilling towards a reinstall.  Sure it may be recoverable by
> extraordinary measures, but a reinstall may be faster.

Yes, I think you are right.  yesterday I was in denial, but I'm getting
used to the idea.  I'd better erase the LVM and repartition hda, then
install etch cleanly and swap back in my /home, /usr/local, most of the
rest of /usr, /var/www, ... and then copy selected bits of /etc too.
It is not so much a question of backups, as most of the variable user
data is already on separate partitions.  A pity.  It was running sweetly
enough before.

Thanks, Doug

--
richard