Re: DSL in Linux - direct setup?

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 11:38:25PM -0500, Zach wrote:
> I have the DSL modem, plugged the ethernet cable between ETHERNET port
> on modem and my NIC, I attached the phone line into the DSL port on
> the modem but I still don't see any network connection. My ISP said
> they use PPPoE but they never told me a username or password. Assuming

You definitely need some for pppoe

> they tell me this how can I access the DSL modem and input these
> settings? In the future I will do NAT and add a router, but for now I
> want just a direct connection in Linux.

Chances are your modem has a built-in web interface and a DHCP server. I
would try 'dhclient' as root and see if I get an IP. If yes, then just
connect to the ip address that gave you the IP. You should be presented
with a web interface where you can configure your pppoe username and
password. If this doesn't work you should have read the modem's user
manual or at least provide the model.

> The ISP said I get a static ip, how do I find out this IP and how do I
> set things up so I have connectivity (and I'd like the settings to be
> saved so if I reboot it will immediately reestablish connectivity and
> using my same static IP when I login again).

If what I wrote above works, all you need to do is write:

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

in /etc/network/interfaces.

Regards,