DSL in Linux - direct setup?

I have the DSL modem, plugged the ethernet cable between ETHERNET port
on modem and my NIC, I attached the phone line into the DSL port on
the modem but I still don't see any network connection. My ISP said
they use PPPoE but they never told me a username or password. Assuming
they tell me this how can I access the DSL modem and input these
settings? In the future I will do NAT and add a router, but for now I
want just a direct connection in Linux.
The ISP said I get a static ip, how do I find out this IP and how do I
set things up so I have connectivity (and I'd like the settings to be
saved so if I reboot it will immediately reestablish connectivity and
using my same static IP when I login again).

I run Debian lenny with a 2.6.18 Debianized stock kernel.

Here is what I have now:

                                                          dsl modem
|             | - - - - -  ethernet cable ---------|             |
 laptop                                                   |
                                                             | phone line
                                                             |
                                                           [ x ] line filter

Zach