Re: typewriter function for an impact printer?

* Chuck Rhode <crhode@LacusVeris.com> [080223 10:42]:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote this on Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:02:24AM -0500.
> My reply is below.
>
> > Perhaps I can get away without the VT520 if I can tell unix to use
> > the printer as the console output and a USB keyboard as the console
> > input.
>
> You might be able to find a DecWriter in working condition.

This is going to be fun to watch.  As soon as there is a pause, the
head of the Decwriter automatically slides about an inch to the side,
in order for the last characters typed to be visible.  This means
that, if you are looking at the paper, you often are not quite sure
where the next character is going to be placed.

Be advised that the Decwriter uses tractor feed paper exclusively.  I
do not recall whether the Decwriter has a clutch on the paper drive
sprocket.

RLH