Re: Bothering error message when logging out X

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 07:03:50PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 06:54:26PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> >> Every time I log out my Gnome X environment (Debian Etch), after a few
> >> seconds
> >> the following message appears:
> >>
> >>  NET: Registered protocol family 10
> >>  lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
> >>  IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
> >>
> "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:
>
> > These are kernel messages being posted to the terminal.  Do you get
> > other kernel messages (e.g. like when you plug in a USB device)?
> >
> > See the top of /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> Rodolfo:
> >> Thanks, this worked: in /etc/sysctl.conf I uncommented the line:
> >>
> >>  kernel.printk = 4 4 1 7
> >>
> >> so to stop low-level messages on console, and that bothering message did not
> >> appear any more.  But still, when I plug in my usb pendrive, the following
> >> message appears:
> >>
> >>  sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> >>
> >> .  How can I avoid this as well, and all undesired kernel messages?
>
> Douglas:
> > Is the kernel putting that there, or is syslog?  Check your syslog
> > setup, perhaps change the default message level that it spits out.
> > There are somethings that you want to appear on __the_system_console__
> > but not necessarily on every VT.  Syslog configs should allow you to
> > tweak this.
>
> I tried to edit /etc/syslog.conf but with no result: too difficult for me.
> Any more precise indication of how to edit it so to tweak the messages
> appearing on console?

OK.  Look in /etc/syslog.conf. (at the lines that don't start with "#").

Now, ignore the lines that put messages in files in /var/log,
e.g.
*.*;auth,authpriv.none		-/var/log/syslog

In my file, I see two sections that may be of interest:

*.emerg			*

This sends all messages of level emerg to all terminals.

Plugging in a drive should be an emergency.

This should be set in /etc/udev/udev.conf:

# udev.conf

# The initial syslog(3) priority: "err", "info", "debug" or its
# numerical equivalent. For runtime debugging, the daemons internal
# state can be changed with: "udevcontrol log_priority=<value>".
udev_log="err"

Then there's a section that links into the xconsole program, if you run
it.  I never have.

Are you getting this message on all terminals or just on VT1 (which is
normally considered the console)?

Doug.