Re: typewriter function for an impact printer?

On 02/22/08 14:15, H.S. wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:06:49AM +0000, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>>> On 22 Feb at 5:08 "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> <[🔎] fpllbr$qtt$1@ger.gmane.org>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> But would you want to work for such a company?
>>
>> If I have to keep buying computers that will run the latest microsoft,
>> then keep buying the latest microsoft so that I can write doc files, who
>> can afford such a job?
>> Its cheaper to write PDFs and ps on my 486 with LaTex.
>>
>> :)
>
> Now, I understand that the human resources people usually want a
> document whose text they can put in their database which is searchable.
> But what pisses me off is they demand the applicants to send a MS Word
> document. Now, why in the world can't they just extract the text from a
> PDF document, may I ask? What other factor in the world can they hope to
> get from a Word document? The answer appears to be that they are on the
> other side of the table. They are not desperately looking for a job and
> have no incentive to do any such work -- they just want to make their
> own life easier. Not to mention that it reflects on their knowledge of
> the tools they are supposed to know how to use on a daily basis.

They use Word because Word is on their PC.  Did you really have to
ask that?

> Oh, and I can bet most of human resources people, heck, even management
> people, have never ever heard of Latex has a document preparation system.

Are you crazy?  They think that latex is the stuff you make dish-
washing gloves out of.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"(Women are) like compilers.  They take simple statements and
make them into big productions."
Pitr Dubovitch