Re: Fwd: question about vim

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:34:30AM -0500, Vikki Roemer wrote:

> >  > another look and I found what I was looking for, seems like modeline is turned
>  >  > off in debian, so I have added to my ~/.vimrc a set modeline
>  >
>  >  For security reasons probably. Be careful what files you are loading.
>
>  How is modeline a security risk?

It seems the developers have considered this (I recalled something about
security related to modelines):

[quote]

No other commands than "set" are supported, for security reasons (somebody
might create a Trojan horse text file with modelines).  And not all options
can be set.  For some options a flag is set, so that when it's used the
|sandbox| is effective.  Still, there is always a small risk that a modeline
causes trouble.  E.g., when some joker sets 'textwidth' to 5 all your lines
are wrapped unexpectedly.  So disable modelines before editing untrusted text.
The mail ftplugin does this, for example.

[/quote]

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)