Re: ASUS P5GC-MX mother board - Attensic network card

On Thursday 21 February 2008 21:05, L.V.Gandhi wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Sridhar M.A. <mas@mylug.org> wrote:
> >    > and there's a "linux" directory
> >    > on the CD with source for an atl2 module that works with the
> >    > Debian "etch" 2.6.18 kernel.
> >
> >  I am also using an ASUS board with Attansic network card. Kernel 2.6.18
> >  does not support this card. Why not install 2.6.2[234] on your machine?
> >  One of them might even be available from backports?
> >
> >  Regards,
> >
> >  --
> >  Sridhar M.A.                                 GPG KeyID : F6A35935
> >   Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5  55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935
>
> Dear Sridhar,
> Thanks for the response. I tried compiling with downloaded source for
> atl2 after installing build-essential. I get msg linux kernel source
> not found stop.

  Hi L.V. --

  Sridhar's proposed solution and mine are different.  Sridhar is
suggesting installing a 2.6.2[234] kernel, which will include support
for the Attansic network card, and not require you to compile the
driver separately.

  My suggestion was to find the driver source and compile it against
the 2.6.18 headers, allowing you to run a mostly-stock "etch" kernel.
If you're getting "source not found", it may be that the soft-link
in /lib/modules/2.6.18-<minor-version>/header or .../source is still
missing.  This can happen if you install the linux-headers package
*after* the kernel, since that link is put in by the linux-image package.
  A possible solution to the link problem is to run dpkg-reconfigure on
the linux-image package, which will notice the headers, and restore the
link.  Alternatively, you can just put the link in manually.

  You should consider the 2.6.2[234] idea seriously, it's probably easier,
depending on the nature of the constraint that holds you to 2.6.18.
Your call, obviously.

				-- A.
constraint that

--