Re: typewriter function for an impact printer?

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:52:41PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/20/08 16:24, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > I often have forms to fill out and some would be better not
> > hand-written.  However, they all differ so I can't just set-up a
> > template.
> >
> > Does anyone know of an app that will give me an interactive session with
> > my Epson dot-matrix printer?  I could feed that in (its an LQ-2080 and
> > will do plain paper), use the enter key in the traditional typewriter
> > way, etc.
> >
> > It shouldn't be too big a deal to do, I just figured I'd see if there's
> > already a solution before I try to reinvent a very old wheel.
>
> The problem, I think, is that, in multi-user systems printers are
> connected to application software via print queues instead of
> directly attached like in single-user OSs.

Well, that could either be handled by something imitating lpd and
putting a lock on the printer or by lpc to stop the printing but allow
spooling to continue.  Either way, this frees up the printer.  /dev/lp0
is owned by root:lp so I suppose the person doing the typewriting would
either have to belong to the lp group or be root.

Doug.