Re: question about vim

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 08:50:37AM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:46:03AM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:29:59AM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >

> > > I am a user of vim (learner). I have been getting caught out with the file
> > > type setting of vim, sometimes it is good an other times it is a pain in the but.
> > >
> > > I have done some reading about setting vim options in files.
> > >
> > > for example I am editing a makefile and I have placed this line at the bottom
> > >
> > > # vim:ft=''
> > >
> > > when I load up this file in vim and then execute set ft, it returns makefile,
> > > which is not what I want, have I typed it wrong or is there some option that I
> > > need to set ?
>
> I'm just wondering, why don't you want the filetype? One of the reasons
> I started using vim was it's syntax highlighting.
yeah I like the filetype stuff as well, I just hate when I do cut and
paste and with comments, everything gets askew, so some files I want it
off by default

--
"You're free. And freedom is beautiful. And, you know, it'll take time to restore chaos and order -- order out of chaos. But we will."

	- George W. Bush
04/13/2003
Washington, DC